Once a student completes his/her 10+2 education and if they opt for engineering the major question in their mind is “which is the best engineering branch? “.
No doubt engineering is still the most popular course choice amongst the students. Each and every year more than 10 lac students appear for the Joint entrance exam (JEE) and compete for seats in top engineering colleges. Every year Indian institute of Technology (IIT) conduct the Joint entrance exam for various engineering courses. Besides JEE there are many excellent private institutes in India which conduct their own entrance exam, some of the best B.TECH colleges are in Mathura, offering various courses in engineering.
Since engineering is an interdisciplinary course, with the new inventions and innovations each day it has given rise to many new engineering branches which students are not aware of. Let us see some of the best branches of engineering-
- Mechanical Engineering
- Information Technology Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Agricultural engineering
- Mining engineering
- Biochemical engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Textile Engineering
- Biotechnology Engineering
- Ceramic Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agriculture & Food Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Instrumentation Engineering
In terms of employment opportunities, scope, core subject some of the top engineering branches are-
- Electrical engineering- Also known as electronic or communication engineering it is basically the combination of science and math applied in the field of electronics and communication. It majorly focuses on design, development and testing of the electronic equipment. This engineering branch mostly deals with solid state device, analog transmission, basic electronics, microprocessors, microwave engineering, analog integrated circuits and even deals with the manufacturing of circuits, electronic devices and communication equipment.
- Computer science- The main work of computer science engineers is to design and develop software applications for various industries, they manage the hardware and software of any company, they are responsible for the development of software for the computing devices such as printers, scanner Etc. They can work in various IT industries as Software developers, system designer, system analyst and networking engineers.
- Mechanical engineering- It is one of the broadest branch of engineering the mechanical engineers design various machines such as generators, combustion engines, gas turbines, refrigeration and air-conditioning systems. They also design elevators and escalators there main aim is to investigate the failure of equipment and come up with a proper solution, they also test the prototype developed by them, they are also responsible for analyzing the test results and make changes in the device if required.
- Chemical engineering- The chemical engineers mostly use their knowledge of chemistry and math to develop various economical ways of using materials and energy for the benefit of mankind they discover and manufacture plastics, paints, fuels, fibers, medicines, semiconductors and all types of chemicals. Their main aim is to estimate the cost management for production, conduct research to develop various manufacturing processes, ensure that safety measures are taken for the people working with dangerous chemicals, design and plan the layout of equipment and they are also responsible to conduct tests and monitor the performance of various processes.
- Civil engineering- The main work of civil engineer is to design and execute any given project undertaken by them. Some of the projects of this engineering includes building houses, airports, factories, bridges, dams, water supply system and waste water treatment plans. Their main work is to design and construct a project to the required scale. A civil engineer requires immense engineering knowledge with adequate skills. The civil engineers also help to save and preserve our environment by cleaning up of the pollution and they plan different ways to reduce future pollution of air, land and water.
Each and every field of engineering has immense scope in today’s world, with sufficient engineering knowledge and good skills every aspirant can become a successful engineer.